Centrum Ultra Men's Silver Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement, Tablets

I've been taking Centrum Silver for the last 5 or 6 years. I thought when I purchased these (I bought the 100-count bottle) that they would probably be about the same as regular Centrum Silver with perhaps more Selenium for Prostate health.

Wow, was I wrong! While there are no new ingredients, Centrum has substantially increased the amounts of many of Silver's components. I guess their reasoning is that since this product is targeted at men, and since average body weight for men will be higher than average body weight of men AND women, the dosage of each vitamin and mineral should be higher.

Here are some comparisons (the first number is the old formula):
Vitamin A -- 2500IU vs 3500IU
Vitamin C -- 90mcg vs 120mcg
Vitamin D -- 500mcg vs 600mcg
Vitamin K -- 30mcg vs 60mcg
Vitamin B6 -- 3mg vs 6mg
Vitamin B12 -- 25mcg vs 100mcg
Zinc -- 11mg vs 15mg
Selenium -- 55mcg vs 100mcg
Manganese -- 2.3mg vs 4mg
Lycopene -- 300mcg vs 600mcg
Lutein -- 250mcg vs 300mcg
There are other smaller increases, but the above are the big ones. Interestingly, there are a few reductions:
Phosphorus -- 110mg vs 20mg
Folic Acid -- 400mcg vs 300mcg
Copper -- 0.9mg vs 0.7mg

I suppose these are the components that women require in greater quantity than men.

The tablet itself is the same size horse-pill as before. But now it's pink! Odd choice for men. I wonder what color the women's pill is. Blue?

Whether the new or old formulas make a difference in overall health is hard to say. I use them as a kind of insurance against poor nutrition and because of the *possible* health benefit they *may* confer. Given that, I take on faith that this new formula is superior to the old.
Centrum Ultra Men's Silver Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement, Tablets

No comments:

Post a Comment